PDA

View Full Version : STORM Race...pics and post hoc

chicken l'orange
10-31-2007, 08:19 PM
I have a few pictures from the race. Actually, I have more than 50, but there may be 3 or 4 worth viewing. As soon as they upload on my hosting site and I get them tweaked a bit, I'll show some and post a link for the rest.

In the meantime, I'd like some feedback on the race. If you raced, what was it like from that perspective? If you attended as a spectator, I'd like whatever comments you have.

Most importantly though, I'd like to hear from all club members who have ANY thoughts on the race. Was it a great loss of a primo trail riding weekend? Were you otherwise inconvenienced in any way? Obviously, if you tried to go to Zars ranch on the Friday before the race, you found a locked gate...that was WRONG and contrary to the agreement, but it obviously happened. I apologize and take responsibility, and only hope that my actions to address the issue were reasonably sufficienct under the circumstances.

How about the condition of the trails and the property as a whole? I looks pretty good to me, but I'd like your take.

Over the next couple of months, please share your opinions. DBSA exists for its members, and consideration of similar events in the future will be given with your comments in mind.

Motomofo1
10-31-2007, 09:49 PM
I was surprised at how little damage was done to the trails utilized in the loop. In all the years that I have seen races run at Zars, the trails have never been anything like that after an event. Although I realize others would disagree, I was hoping it would get a bit rougher, as that makes for good practice.

Personally, I think the basic loop that was used is good for weekend trail rides, but a poor choice for a race loop, as there are very few passing opportunities. With a little work, a much better layout could be achieved to provide for a better racing experience.

When I first joined the club, there was a large portion that actually went to races and competed. Infact, I remember the DBSA winning the award for the most club points in the old TCHSS a few times. It's a shame that we dont have enough club members interested enough in putting on such events anymore.

chicken l'orange
11-01-2007, 05:37 AM
... With a little work, a much better layout could be achieved to provide for a better racing experience. Currently biting my tongue while nodding my head.

... It's a shame that we dont have enough club members interested enough in putting on such events anymore.
I've made the same assumption as you, but is it true? I think it's safe to say that the organizers of the previous couple of races aren't interested in an encore, but perhaps a new group of forward thinking git-er-done types will step up. Or not.

SuzukiQ
11-01-2007, 07:33 AM
I rode at Zars yesterday. Place looks good (didn't see any damage or trash left behind) and the trail used for the race held up well. Overall, I'm pleased that the race organizers left Zars in good shape.

This was a good deal for DBSA and allowed us to add a few dollars to the coffers without incurring the effort and financial risk associated with hosting a race ourselves.

DBSA stopped sponsoring races after the current hare scramble series broke away from the AMA. Long political discussion involved with what happened overall and I won't go into it here. We were also having trouble getting enough club members who wanted to help as the club continued to evolve into a more family type of ridership. Then you have the issue of wear and tear on the property by 200+ racers. Normally, the trail would be beat to heck and back and we'd have to spend time after the race putting in a new marked trail system.

Anyway, I think they had a successful race and I believe they would like to do another early next year. At this point, I wouldn't be against leasing Zars to them once a year for putting on a race.

chicken l'orange
11-01-2007, 05:12 PM
Anyway, I think they had a successful race and I believe they would like to do another early next year. At this point, I wouldn't be against leasing Zars to them once a year for putting on a race.

This particular racing group (Charlie Marshall aka Whoop de do Racing) did not have a financially successful event, and they are not holding and promoting races any more. The problem had more to do with schedule and overall STORM viability...everyone seemed to love riding Zars ranch.

I agree that an annual Hare Scrambles race at Zars seems ok, but who organizes it is a very open question.

Barnett24
11-01-2007, 05:24 PM
What kind of turnout did they have? Just asking.

I'm not saying we shouldn't host another race, but something to keep in mind is
it's been dry for the last month and this kept down the impact from this race.
If this race had been held in May, even if it could have, the impact could have been totally different.

SuzukiQ
11-01-2007, 05:32 PM
Ouch. Didn't know they took a financial bath on the race. :eek: I've heard rumors that STORM was having problems pulling in the numbers of racers needed to put on a financially viable series. I know when DBSA was doing races, we had to pull in about 250 racers just to break even. Anything above that number would give us profit. It would cost us roughly $12,000 (race series got a big cut of every entry, ambulances, porta potties, materials, etc) to put on a race and I know we ate a couple of large weather induced losses during the time I've been a member.

Barnett24
11-01-2007, 06:10 PM
Wow, $12,000 is a pretty high break even.

SuzukiQ
11-02-2007, 07:53 AM
Yep, sounds like a lot of money. The ambulances and crews alone were several thousand dollars. Had to have one available all day Saturday and two available on Sunday. I worked the gate during the last several years that DBSA was putting on races and I would have quite a sum of cash to take care of at the end of Saturday. Could've purchased a really nice bike and taken a long European road trip.:D