Thread: Former Member In Serious Medical Condition

Default Former Member In Serious Medical Condition

Last year Bill Cobb moved out to Utah in search of endless singletrack. That he mostly found but right after the new year he came down with a mysterious virus. I talked to his neighbor Jack yesterday after not being able to touch base with Bill for a few weeks.

Jack said that in a day and a half Bill went from being fine to having EMS take him to the hospital. He was so sick they sent him to Provo Regional Hospital. He developed pneumonia and ended up being intubated. His kidneys also stopped functioning and he had a temperature of 106. One of his sisters went out there week before last for a few days. She said she thought that maybe on the last day she was there Bill knew it.

Jack talked to Bill Tuesday. He was conscious but had difficulty talking. His white blood cell count had gone down but his pulse rate was still high, around 100. They told him that was from his body was still fighting the illness. Jack called me back later last night and Bill had taken a turn for the worse. The Dr's determined that Bill's kidneys were shot and would never start functioning again and his liver had also stopped working. While changing out a picc line his heart stopped for 2-3 minutes.

I talked to his sister this morning and they have ran tons of tests but still do not know what the cause is. The Dr's told the family that even if a miracle happened and Bill survives, he'll be on dialysis four times a week forever. She was flying out there tonight to be with Bill for a few days.

Bill is really in dire straits and it doesn't look too good.
    People told me I was going to get old, I didn't believe them.

2016 Husqvarna TE250
    2006 Yamaha WR450F

Thanks for the info Carl. Bill was a member of our dual sporting group for some time. Wish him the best possible but it sure doesn't sound good. Amazing how we can be o.k. and then suddenly some bug quickly brings the other shoe slamming down.
    J.R.Rhoades

Holy crap...that's terrible.

Here's hoping for the best for Bill.

Bill’s neighbor said Bill was awake the four hours when he was there today. Bill was talking some but he couldn't hear him, Bill’s sister Suzette could though.
    The Dr's didn't say much else other than his kidneys were still not working.
    Found out they had been using the wrong size dialysis tube and it wasn't working properly when they were giving him treatments. ��
    Looks like it's going to be a rollercoaster ride for him.
    I'll let you know something else when I do.

2016 Husqvarna TE250
    2006 Yamaha WR450F

Bill texted me last night. Didn't say much other than he was barely alive. Him improving enough to reach out and comprehend is encouraging.
    He's not out of the woods yet by any means though.

2016 Husqvarna TE250
    2006 Yamaha WR450F

Encouraging for sure.

Here's hoping for the best.

Thanks for the update.

PM sent to you Carl.

Got it Don.

I spoke with Bill last week and he was talking pretty well. They still haven't told him what it is that he has. He told me he wasn't sure he'd be able to ride dirt bikes again. He's still getting dialysis every other day.

His sister's are getting a U-Haul to bring all of his stuff back to San Antonio where his family can care for him.

I'll keep ya'll updated.

2016 Husqvarna TE250
    2006 Yamaha WR450F