Thread: Club Business - Possible reduction in allowed Membership Numbers

Default Club Business - Possible reduction in allowed Membership Numbers

Years ago, when the club dues were less, we had no limits on number of members. We were growing at a tremendous rate and decided we needed to set a limit for safety's sake on our membership numbers. We set them at 250 and that year we had the most memberships ever (225). Back then we also had a lot of family memberships and it was cool to see mom, pop, and all the younguns at Zars.

Then we raised the dues considerably (needed to build our land purchase fund) and memberships dropped off for quite some time and it took us a while to cross the 100 memberships number. Well, last year we had 145 memberships at the end of the year, this year (2021), 2 months in, we already have 148 signups. We've noticed a lot of families now amongst our memberships and it is great to see that. But the issue of membership limits and safety has raised it's head again. You can figure that for every membership in the club, you can double the number of people riding. So 150 memberships would equal approx 300 people.

So numbers are being bandied about with the most likely limit to be set at 175. This is not firm yet. It will (I think) require a membership vote because it will require a change to our bylaws.

My point is 'If you have an opinion about this issue, now is the time to let your voice be heard'. Our next membership meeting will be on the 2nd Satuday of March, at noon, at Zars Ranch pavilion.

With all the new members, I would hope that more folks would show up for our meetings and for other club functions (work days, family fun days, etc). I realize that our meetings are mostly the humdrum business of the club, but there are times that issues may arise that require some conversation and opinions. And it would be nice to see more faces and get to know more of the members.

Anyway, thanks to all who do participate in club events and I hope more of you will do so. Keep the rubber side down, enjoy your time spent with others who share your interest in off road motorcycling, and enjoy your time spent with your families.
    J.R.Rhoades

There was some discussion about old members that haven't renewed yet, and the concern that if a membership cap was instated before they renewed, they'd be denied.

I suggest setting a membership cap greater than the number of current members that is sufficient to allow those old members to renew. And if they don't renew, it'll be a few less members.

IE: membership cap is 175, there are 125 current members and 25 old members that haven't renewed. This would allow for the 25 old members to renew and an additional 25 new members. Obviously adjust the numbers if no new members are wanted.

Might even be worth the time to email those old members and ask if they plan on renewing.

Just one suggestion of many possible options.

I have to be honest though and say I have no idea how many members are too many.

All of what you said has been part of the board discussion. IMO We are 3 months into the new year and last years members who haven't signed up again, their keys haven't worked for 2 months now. And we started signups for this year in December. They've had time to sign up again.
    J.R.Rhoades

We are proposing modifying the club bylaws to allow us to set limits on the number of memberships (a family membership counts as one membership) without having to amend the bylaws to do so. This will require a vote by the membership and a quorum vote by the club board. Club members do have say in how things go but you have to attend membership meetings to do so.

Bylaws OLD verbage:

Section 2: Membership Numbers. The number of members shall be limited to 250 members, (a family group is counted as a single member) until otherwise authorized by an Amendment of the Bylaws. It is further set forth that, in order to protect the identity of the Club as a Dirt Bike Club, that 90% of the membership shall be owners of and/or ride dirt bikes.

Bylaws PROPOSED NEW verbage:

Section 2: Membership Numbers. The number of members (a family group is counted as a single member) shall be limited to a number (reviewed as circumstances dictate) deemed reasonable by the Board to insure the overall safety of the ridership using the club properties. It is further set forth that, in order to protect the identity of the Club as a Dirt Bike Club, that 100% of the membership shall primarily be owners of and/or ride dirt bikes.
    Last edited by SuzukiQ; 03-15-2021 at 07:39 PM.
    J.R.Rhoades

At our Membership Meeting yesterday (4/10/21), one of our Board members didn't quite like the wording of the change to the bylaws. So I took another shot at it and have posted it below. The gist is we are giving the Club Board the flexibility to set limits on number of members without having to change the bylaws to do so.

OLD:

Section 2: Membership Numbers. The number of members shall be limited to 250 members, (a family group is counted as a single member) until otherwise authorized by an Amendment of the Bylaws. It is further set forth that, in order to protect the identity of the Club as a Dirt Bike Club, that 90% of the membership shall be owners of and/or ride dirt bikes.

PROPOSED NEW:

Section 2: Membership Numbers. The number of members (a family group is counted as a single member) shall be limited to a number (reviewed as circumstances dictate) deemed reasonable by the Board to insure the overall safety of the ridership using the club properties. It is further set forth that, in order to protect the identity of the Club as a Dirt Bike Club, that 100% of the membership shall primarily be owners of and/or ride dirt bikes.

PROPOSED NEW NEW:

Section 2: Membership Numbers. The number of members (a family group is counted as a single member) shall be reviewed by the Board as circumstances dictate and set by the Board to a number deemed reasonable to insure the overall safety of the ridership using the club properties. It is further set forth that, in order to protect the identity of the Club as a Dirt Bike Club, that 100% of the membership shall primarily be owners of and/or ride dirt bikes.
    J.R.Rhoades

We are going to make the change 'suggested new new' as written in the previous post to the bylaws. We've also agreed to take a wait and see attitude about setting limits on the number of members for this year so far. If it looks like we are going to have safety issues because of the number of members, then we will take action and set a limit. So far so good out at Zars that I've seen this year.
    J.R.Rhoades