Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keep forums - Yes or No

Default Keep forums - Yes or No

There has been some discussion amongst the Board Members as whether or not to continue these forums. The thought is that these forums get little use and are subject to constant robo attacks. The robo attacks are the reason no one can sign up without contacting an admin now. This has discouraged anyone new from joining. Life on the web is PITA as it is and the level of importance of joining these forums is usually low amongst folks.

I personally would miss the forums if they were gone. I don't do Facebook nor do I tweet. I don't know how many others feel the way I do. I appreciate being able to post information about club business and general subjects on the forums.

We have a new individual coming onto the board who will be responsible for maintaining our website and these forums. My hope is that the website will be kept more up to date and the appearance will change to be a bit less generic and more user friendly in terms of finding info.
    J.R.Rhoades

Yes...keep this forum.

I do not, and will not, use Facebook.

There's a bit of redundancy between the forum here and this one: http://www.clubdbsa.org/index.html. I suggest bringing the unique items here and deleting it.

I realize it's sort of like a cover/entrance page, but I still suggest deleting and combining it.

I recommend keeping the forums. I have used them in the past to read of others adventures and share photos. I also have used them to sell my bikes to other DBSA users (I refuse to use Facebook or Craigslist for selling something).
    - Garon Foster

2019 KTM 250 XC-F
    2011 KLR650
    2009 V-Strom 650
    2009 XT250
    2003 CRF 150F

Replying to Dons' comments. I wouldn't want to see our web page deleted and the info put here instead. When I go to a webpage, I don't want to spend a lot of time looking for pertinent info. I would think most new folks would want to know about how to join and how much, etc. Our current members would probably be interested in a list of club events (work days, fun days, meetings, races, etc) along with dates, times, and locations. I just want to our home pages kept more up to date with info easier to locate. Bigger font for us older folks would be nice too. Also, we have a new logo that I would like to see incorporated into the page along with using it on our facebook page.
    J.R.Rhoades

Well, all this discussion will be moot when Skynet takes over so...HAHA

Gotta say that the new logo is great.

You can keep the forum but forums are a bit out dated. Why not keep the forum for those that want to use it but have something like an official Club DBSA Discord server that is integrated in to the forum?

I had to lookup Discord Server to know what you were talking about. Similar to a Meetup Group. That might not be a bad idea and possibly worth a try. One of the things I like about the Forum format is that things are grouped (club stuff, general discussion, etc). If the Discord thing could be done similarly then we might be able to do away with forums and still satisfy those of us who don't facebook or tweet. I personally want as little of my info floating around on the net as possible and I don't want a company selling my info all over the place or spamming me.
    J.R.Rhoades

Haha Discord is a young man's game. It can be setup similar to a forum. It is a program that was intended for gamers but has been used as a community hosting platform that has pretty much made forums obsolete.
    Honda CRF250RX
    Honda CRF250F

Kawasaki KLX140RF

There's also Slack. Slack is more professional for work and organizations. Discord is mostly used for voice communications and streaming video. Slack is probably a better choice for a text based community for this club.
    Honda CRF250RX
    Honda CRF250F

Kawasaki KLX140RF

I realize technology is changing and I'll get left behind. But as a former military person, I reserve my right to complain at least once.

Sometimes the flow of information...isn't.

Last Sunday I heard second hand there will be a TORCS race at Zar's in March. I looked at the TORCS schedule and it says February: https://www.torcsracing.com/docs/fly...2_21flyer3.pdf

The calendar here only goes to 2019. I'm thinking it's 2021 or something: http://www.clubdbsa.org/forums/calen...do=displayyear

I don't see anything about it here: http://www.clubdbsa.org/event.html

Nothing here either: https://www.facebook.com/clubdbsa/

But the previous link mentions a new group, but it states the posts are private: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2146...ntions&__xts__[0]=68.ARDwLcKCw67h2pvpgmhEkL7sTIgVgyj_BiU63jcPL0mCXq 0flKNZJlnfYqSjzuyCZHCDZMmUBfP20I_5jdUp97lhjVd0oB6d U_pbP8DN4SWlFqaWsyl44XcGmE6xxZEL7JIvYkXqQgjZ6jajJT K8Yu7DTbY7yIuQneRRlGciv5UgmD3O1R1NH_sfVwz1JZiG91lQ yb7WUUfjR_-UQ8JmCZUxhAnCykgAnoZlFG5xi9qo7Eh1H0Aw6Otd7BSa7SkHL JCHX3ulBD1QOJLqH44iX7AryJ0xJGI1dHViKHYomwxmCMnDtyZ MK63jRqZ4JvqYZ84p

I'll shut up and go back to work now.

Happy New Year to all.