Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Escondido Draw (EDRA) Work Weekends

Default Tx Motor'd Trails Coalition-Ozona 25-27 Jul

You do not need to be a member of the Texas Motorized Trails Coalition to participate/volunteer.

See the last post(s) in this thread for the latest dates and info.

EDRA is 21 miles west of Ozona and approx 250 miles west of San Antonio. See the next couple of posts for directions and pics.

Time on EDRA Work Days will not count as DBSA work hours (I wish I could say otherwise). This will be to the benefit of the Texas Motorized Trails Coalition (TMTC) and their effort to get the Escondido Draw Recreation Area ORV park up and running. Hours worked per person will count toward TMTC's account balance with the state at $10 per hour rate.

The work will initially be trail cutting but will evolve into facilities (water, electric, camp sites, rv sites, etc) sometime in the future.
    Last edited by SuzukiQ; 01-09-2012 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Updated info
    J.R.Rhoades

How do you get to EDRA? Take IH10 West till you get 21 miles past Ozona. You'll find this sign. Turn left on 290.

Then this is the first set of county roads that you will come to. Turn left on 406.

Start counting cattle grates. Right before the 4th cattle grate, turn left here. Eventually there will be a nice sign, but for now, you can barely read the word 'TMTC'.

Last edited by SuzukiQ; 03-11-2009 at 06:05 PM.
    J.R.Rhoades

EDRA is 3600 acres. Mostly a large wide draw area surrounded by cap rock plateaus. Just before you make the descent down into the draw, these very faded signs warn you of the steep hill to come.

I didn't take any photos of the draw itself.
    Last edited by SuzukiQ; 01-09-2012 at 12:26 PM. Reason: updated info
    J.R.Rhoades

The TMTC membership meeting was held in the town square. The 4wd group was well represented. I was the only 'peon' motorcycle member there.

Quite a few ATV'ers showed up to play on EDRA during the weekend but I don't think any of them did a lick of work. That will have to change if they want the ATV trail systems completed.

Can't throw too many rocks though since Tony Eeds (President of TMTC), Steve Thompson (TPWD), and myself were the only motorcyclists there. But we did work to get some trail marked and ready.
    Last edited by SuzukiQ; 08-05-2008 at 10:58 AM.
    J.R.Rhoades

Link to thread with some pics of 4WD rock crawl trail at EDRA on TMTC forums.

http://tmtc.net/forums/showthread.php?t=410

Link to thread with some pics of EDRA on TMTC forums.

http://tmtc.net/forums/showthread.php?t=365

I'm trying to drum up a bit of excitement within DBSA about this property/project. TMTC will need all the volunteer help they can get to make the trail systems happen. The motorcycle trail loops alone should be about 70 miles when complete. They will be having work weekends starting sometime this fall. Stay tuned to the Dirt News for dates. I will put them up as I find out about them.
    J.R.Rhoades

I really don't mean to complain, cause I know all the people are volunteers. I got my mailing the Wednesday before the event. Thanks for going JR.

Yep, you nailed it. They have the same 'volunteer' problems we do, but on a state wide scale. My notice didn't arrive until a couple of days before the meeting either. Fortunately I had stumbled upon TMTC's website forums and was able to plan ahead. I also had that same info posted here a couple of weeks in advance. I'll do my best to keep track of what's going on with and at EDRA and post the info in the Dirt News. Hopefully, some DBSA'ers (and even non-DBSA'ers are welcome) will step up to help.

And I see 'Laura the Bum' has signed up as a member of our forums. One of the coolest gals you're likely ever to meet, a 4WD'er (Suz Samarai), and stays heavily involved in ORV volunteerism. Welcome to our forums.
    Last edited by SuzukiQ; 08-06-2008 at 09:58 AM.
    J.R.Rhoades

I spent 4-7 September at EDRA helping flag in the first set of trails. We had flagged 3 miles of trail prior to this and now have flagged an additional 10 miles of trail. The plan is to get ahead and stay ahead of the cutting crews that we hope will show up for the work weekends. You really don't get an appreciation for this place until you've spent time walking it and working a trail. I grow more impressed with it every time I work there. We've got trail sections that would make Steve McKinney proud.

Side note. I finally saw a rattlesnake in the wild. This puppy was about four foot long and I almost stepped on it. Fortunately you could tell it was still in the process of digesting a large meal (could see the fore and hind quarters bumps in it's body) and not interested in us. So we now have a feature named 'Rattlesnake curve'.
    J.R.Rhoades

Laurathebum Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SuzukiQ View Post
    And I see 'Laura the Bum' has signed up as a member of our forums. One of the coolest gals you're likely ever to meet, a 4WD'er (Suz Samarai), and stays heavily involved in ORV volunteerism. Welcome to our forums.

aww shucks
    Now, I'm gonna have to visit more often.
    here's pics from the first visit to EDRA....in July05
    http://www.texasoffroad.net/galleries/members/oora

btw...JR forgot to mention....I'm the manager of a Motorcycle shop in Springtown, TX...if anyone's ever up this way stop in and say hi.
    Last edited by Laurathebum; 09-24-2008 at 11:41 AM.

We got another 6 miles of motorcycle trail flagged in this time (27-28 Sep). So were up to 20 miles flagged and about 3 miles cut in. The next couple of work weekends will be spent cutting and no more flagging will be done until we catch up. Oh, and so far no ATV'ers have showed up to do anything with their trail systems. Surprise, surprise.
    J.R.Rhoades