Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Escondido Draw (EDRA) Work Weekends

Hybrid View

Default Tx Motor'd Trails Coalition-Ozona 25-27 Jul

You do not need to be a member of the Texas Motorized Trails Coalition to participate/volunteer.

See the last post(s) in this thread for the latest dates and info.

EDRA is 21 miles west of Ozona and approx 250 miles west of San Antonio. See the next couple of posts for directions and pics.

Time on EDRA Work Days will not count as DBSA work hours (I wish I could say otherwise). This will be to the benefit of the Texas Motorized Trails Coalition (TMTC) and their effort to get the Escondido Draw Recreation Area ORV park up and running. Hours worked per person will count toward TMTC's account balance with the state at $10 per hour rate.

The work will initially be trail cutting but will evolve into facilities (water, electric, camp sites, rv sites, etc) sometime in the future.
    Last edited by SuzukiQ; 01-09-2012 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Updated info
    J.R.Rhoades

How do you get to EDRA? Take IH10 West till you get 21 miles past Ozona. You'll find this sign. Turn left on 290.

Then this is the first set of county roads that you will come to. Turn left on 406.

Start counting cattle grates. Right before the 4th cattle grate, turn left here. Eventually there will be a nice sign, but for now, you can barely read the word 'TMTC'.

Last edited by SuzukiQ; 03-11-2009 at 06:05 PM.
    J.R.Rhoades

EDRA is 3600 acres. Mostly a large wide draw area surrounded by cap rock plateaus. Just before you make the descent down into the draw, these very faded signs warn you of the steep hill to come.

I didn't take any photos of the draw itself.
    Last edited by SuzukiQ; 01-09-2012 at 12:26 PM. Reason: updated info
    J.R.Rhoades

The TMTC membership meeting was held in the town square. The 4wd group was well represented. I was the only 'peon' motorcycle member there.

Quite a few ATV'ers showed up to play on EDRA during the weekend but I don't think any of them did a lick of work. That will have to change if they want the ATV trail systems completed.

Can't throw too many rocks though since Tony Eeds (President of TMTC), Steve Thompson (TPWD), and myself were the only motorcyclists there. But we did work to get some trail marked and ready.
    Last edited by SuzukiQ; 08-05-2008 at 10:58 AM.
    J.R.Rhoades

Link to thread with some pics of 4WD rock crawl trail at EDRA on TMTC forums.

http://tmtc.net/forums/showthread.php?t=410

Link to thread with some pics of EDRA on TMTC forums.

http://tmtc.net/forums/showthread.php?t=365

I'm trying to drum up a bit of excitement within DBSA about this property/project. TMTC will need all the volunteer help they can get to make the trail systems happen. The motorcycle trail loops alone should be about 70 miles when complete. They will be having work weekends starting sometime this fall. Stay tuned to the Dirt News for dates. I will put them up as I find out about them.
    J.R.Rhoades

I really don't mean to complain, cause I know all the people are volunteers. I got my mailing the Wednesday before the event. Thanks for going JR.

I've been making it out to almost all the work weekends. Been slow going since not much in the way of helpers have been coming out. We finally had a father and young son ATV'ers come out for the last three weekends. I turned Tony loose to break them in and help them get to know the property and lay in an ATV trail. I've been working solo these past weekends and have marked in a new motorcycle trail. I did a couple of hours of chainsaw clearing on it and have just scratched the surface. I get to name this trail. Haven't decided on one yet.
    Last edited by SuzukiQ; 03-25-2009 at 06:01 PM.
    J.R.Rhoades

You folks are missing all the fun. Proof that you can get a 5 ton dozer back on it tracks with a jeep winch, some block and tackle, and a large cedar tree.

J.R.Rhoades

Wife joined me for this 18-19 Apr work weekend. We've been married 25 years now and celebrated with a bit of camping, trail clearing, and hiking. We took Sunday morning off and hiked up one of the larger more interesting canyons/creeks to the top of the plateau. These would be small waterfalls when its raining.

View from the top.

J.R.Rhoades

String cacti were in bloom.

J.R.Rhoades