Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Food Fight

Default Food Fight

Time to liven the place up a bit and maybe find out about some other good places to chow down. All of the following are just my opionion:

Best Catfish - Smoke Pit Restaurant on Lower Seguin Road in Schertz. This stuff is good eatin even after the leftovers have spent the night in the fridge.

Best Hamburger and fries - Lords Kitchen near New Braunfels Ave in San Antonio followed closely by the Bracken Cafe in Bracken.

Best Chicken Fried Steak - Good Time Charlies at the corner of Mulberry and Broadway in San Antonio. They also have some excellent Salmon patties.

Best Ice Cream - Any of the Marble Slabs in San Antonio.

Best Chopped BBQ - I'm out of luck here. Liked Caseys but now they're Gradys and it just ain't the same.

Best Italian Sausage Sandwich - Papa Dantes in Converse.

O.K. Next.
    J.R.Rhoades

chicken l'orange Guest

As a fat man who is trying to lose weight, I should abstain from discussions about food. However, you've made one error and some oversights that simply must be addressed.

The one glaring error is the Italian sandwich. Palettas is the place. It is not quite as good as in its glory days when Sonny Paletta was alive, but it still stands out in San Antonio as an authentic Italian deli.

For BBQ, including chopped beef, I recommend the Smoke House on the South Side.

The oversights regard selections for seafood, steak, Chinese, Italian, and.....MEXICAN.

Seafood...Paesano's
    Chinese...I'm still looking
    Italian (other than Deli)...Aldo's, now that Bocconne's is gone
    Steak...The Barn Door. It's no chic or cool, but it's old fashioned good.
    Mexican...Too many good places. It is easier to focus on the places to miss. I'm a fan of the little places that proliferate in the poorer sections of the city.

Bonus: Best Place to get out of trouble (or into trouble if you're single)...Little Rhein Steakhouse. Breathtaking atmosphere, great food, snooty waitstaff, and exhorbitant prices will say, "I'm sorry babe, I'll never do that again" better than actually saying it.

wesdrnek Guest

haha JR you have my vote for Papa Dantes all the way!!!

After a good ol Zars ride i like to hit up a Bill Millers around my house. I usually go to FM78/Pat Booker. Nothin like crispy chicken with a large tea. Add that with lousiana hot sauce... and you've got a good wrap up and a happy ending- even if you've just blown a top end!

O.K. I was remiss in a couple of areas.

Mexican - Casa Sol close to 281/410 on the North side. Any Taco Cabana for a quick fix.

Chinese - China Moon on Pat Booker. No buffet is the only minus.

Steak - Any Outback. Cheaper steak - Little Red Barn.

Seafood - Not my cup of chowder so no recommendations there.
    J.R.Rhoades

wesdrnek Guest

How about we list food places that we do not recommend? I hate going into a restaurant after a ride and eat crap for lunch.

Let's see. Don't eat Chinese food in Oklahoma and don't eat Mexican food in Kansas. Don't ask me how I've come by this bit of wisdom. Oh, and stay away from a place called the Alamo Cafe somewhere in British Columbia.

There aren't too many local places that stand out in my mind as having really bad food. I can say that I don't care for Boudro's (sp) on the River Walk. Worst fajitas I've ever not eaten. Way too much cilantro seasoning. I once ordered the meatloaf at Marie Calenders. Had so much oregano in it that my dog wouldn't eat it either.
    J.R.Rhoades

wesdrnek Guest

haha that marie calenders is still making me laugh!

worst mexican restaruant for me so far is La Hacienda on Blanco road. They wanted 7.99 for 2 cheese enchiladas with NO rice and beans(add rice and beans for 3 dollars!)

yellow 323 Guest

Did someone say food? what about a burrito from freebird's
    I no a guy who lives there he even has there t shirt .......... what a dork

HA HA HA

Quote Originally Posted by yellow 323 View Post
    Did someone say food? what about a burrito from freebird's
    I no a guy who lives there he even has there t shirt .......... what a dork

HA HA HA
    one shirt? you must not be poking fun at me, because i have the whole collection. if you are going to talk crap, perhaps you should use more accurate factual information.

andrew "i can kick a soccer ball straight" t.

ps - and to think i was going to donate a few of my numerous freebirds shirts to wrap your club of a foot in.

yellow 323 Guest

I can kick a soccer ball straight .......with my right foot

Ian